Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack » EHV-1 Outbreak!

12345»»»

EHV-1 Outbreak! Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/14/2013 3:46:50 PM
The Colorado State Veterinarian's Office announced two confirmed case of EVH 1 discovered in horses that had attended the Western National Cutting Show in Ogden, Utah. One of these horse has already been euthanized.
EVH 1 is a serious disease which can cause horses to become ataxic (incoordination), inability to empty bladder, and weakness of the tail. EHV-1 is most commonly transmitted by horse to horse contact but can be spread through the air or by contact with contaminated surfaces (hands, clothing, etc.).
Dr. Sam Hendrix, of the Utah Horse Council is recommending that you keep your horses away from the Golden Spike Events Center until at least Monday when we should have more information from the Utah State Veterinarian. If you have recently attended an event at the Golden Spike please and your horse shows any signs of abnormality (typical initial signs are a fever which willl cause a horse to go off feed) please DO NOT TRAVEL and contact your local veterinarian IMMEDIATELY!.. This is all over Utah, Nevada, Whyoming, Montana, Coloardo and Cali. Please keep an eye on your horses!
There is a very rare chance that your horse will get it unless the horse has been in contact with a horse that was at the show or at the Golden Spike arena with in the last 3 weeks! But if you are worried about your horse keep him/her isolated and call the vet to come out   :D

Post #1642413
Posted 5/16/2011 3:34:45 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/15/2013 3:37:51 AM
Oh, dear god.
Keep an eye on your horses everyone, hope everyone stays safe.

Post #1642424
Posted 5/17/2011 11:31:58 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 12/17/2012 10:13:37 AM
Gosh, just great, we just got a new horse at the trainers barn thats from Utah. :\ Prancers not at the same barn though. I'll call my trainer and let him know and get the vet out.

Sierra and Prancer

Banner by BulletKelly

One Nation Under God Indivisible With Liberty And Justis For All...America

Post #1642823
Posted 5/18/2011 2:36:43 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 6/11/2013 10:53:02 AM
Wow, I hope it doesn't keep spreading.

•Thanks so much to ange for the avie and banner•

Post #1643463
Posted 5/18/2011 4:17:55 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

~Horsefeathers15~ (5/17/2011)
Gosh, just great, we just got a new horse at the trainers barn thats from Utah. :\ Prancers not at the same barn though. I'll call my trainer and let him know and get the vet out.

There is a part I just learned about, the only way a horse can get it is if the horse was at the show or at the Golden Spike arena in the past three weeks. But if you are worried keep the horse isolated :) Let me know!

Post #1643601
Posted 5/18/2011 4:31:35 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/22/2014 10:04:32 AM
Sooo glad I'm on the east coast right now.
Good post!

Megan

Previously StopAndStare

Tonight I'll make you feel beautiful once again

Post #1643622
Posted 5/18/2011 4:46:41 PM

Last Login: 12/19/2012 5:24:32 PM
We live in CA and we aren't aloud to go to shows for two weeks and know horse is aloud to come into our barn... I'm really scared!

Laugh your heart out, Dance in the rain

Cherish the moment, Ignore the pain

Live, Laugh, Love; Forgive & Forget

Life’s too short to be Living with regrets

Post #1643638
Posted 5/18/2011 5:07:05 PM
Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/18/2011 5:25:03 PM
West coast [not] for the win.
I just remembered we have a new boarder coming in soon from an infected state..

>.<

- - - - -

" hermione, you are honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met . "
july fifteenth twenty eleven
 ϟ

Post #1643659
Posted 5/18/2011 6:30:03 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/16/2014 5:46:47 PM
i heard it was rhino and i also heard that it was hypetices 1 (is that how you spell it?) so which one is it?

For the glory, damn the pain, holds it all within them reins. She is country tough and there's no giving up.

used to be FadedAway (:

Post #1643772
Posted 5/18/2011 6:32:47 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/1/2013 8:19:35 PM
THANK YOU, CUTTING HORSE PERSON, FOR BEING STUPID AND SPREADING THIS DISEASE.

There's a case literally in the county Cajun lives in. Everyone's getting vaccinated tomorrow.

thanks jordyn for the banner

To be with us, you have to be good. To stay with us, you have to be strong. To beat us, you have to be kidding.

Post #1643776
Posted 5/18/2011 6:40:11 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/22/2012 12:58:00 PM
Everyone is freaking out at my barn. They are not letting peolpe haul in and stuff. No one has been to any shows latley. Im in WA btw.

- - -

Post #1643785
Posted 5/18/2011 6:40:48 PM

Advanced Member

[quote]greenwoodgaltx (5/18/2011)

There's a case literally in the county Cajun lives in. Everyone's getting vaccinated tomorrow.[/quote]

We have a case like 15 minuets away from here. The vet was out this morning, thank goodness.

Sierra and Prancer

Banner by BulletKelly

Post #1643788
Posted 5/18/2011 6:43:19 PM

Advanced Member

MadDashForRioBaby (5/18/2011)
[quote]~Horsefeathers15~ (5/17/2011)

There is a part I just learned about, the only way a horse can get it is if the horse was at the show or at the Golden Spike arena in the past three weeks. But if you are worried keep the horse isolated :) Let me know![/quote]

Well what you just learned was wrong. (Hope that didn't sound rude) Theres a case like 30-15 minuets from my town. Which is really far from Washington (I do believe thats where the event was held). I live in Texas and the horse that has it hasn't been out of state in a year. I'm pretty worried. They've also cancelled all our shows for the next month. :\

Sierra and Prancer

Banner by BulletKelly

Post #1643793
Posted 5/18/2011 6:50:18 PM
Average Member

Last Login: 7/18/2011 5:25:03 PM
~Horsefeathers15~ (5/18/2011)
[quote]MadDashForRioBaby (5/18/2011)

There is a part I just learned about, the only way a horse can get it is if the horse was at the show or at the Golden Spike arena in the past three weeks. But if you are worried keep the horse isolated :) Let me know![/quote]

Well what you just learned was wrong. (Hope that didn't sound rude) Theres a case like 30-15 minuets from my town. Which is really far from Washington (I do believe thats where the event was held). I live in Texas and the horse that has it hasn't been out of state in a year. I'm pretty worried. They've also cancelled all our shows for the next month. :\[/quote]

It was held in Utah, but spread to WA, CA, ID, and BC, Canada.

- - - - -

" hermione, you are honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met . "
july fifteenth twenty eleven
 ϟ

Post #1643806
Posted 5/18/2011 6:50:24 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/11/2012 3:26:21 PM

There's a case literally in the county Cajun lives in. Everyone's getting vaccinated tomorrow.[/quote]

There's no vaccination for it though? It's a mutant form of the strain of the disease, so there's no vaccine for it.

------------------------------------------------------
We Are More

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it's the voice at the end of the day that says 'I will try again tomorrow.'"

i love juliette so muchi cant even begin to explain it.
juliette loves me a lot too.
and my pony is named bustarhymes and he's really adorable

Post #1643807
Posted 5/18/2011 7:03:40 PM

Advanced Member

[quote]Rayzee (5/18/2011)

There's no vaccination for it though? It's a mutant form of the strain of the disease, so there's no vaccine for it.[/quote]

Yep no Vaccine. Our barn just had the vet come out to check all the horses because we had a horse come in from Utah a week ago. It was before we knew about the EVH 1 outbreak. But our ponies are safe.

Sierra and Prancer

Banner by BulletKelly

Post #1643833
Posted 5/18/2011 7:04:49 PM

Advanced Member

extraordinary (5/18/2011)
[quote]~Horsefeathers15~ (5/18/2011)
[quote]MadDashForRioBaby (5/18/2011)

Well what you just learned was wrong. (Hope that didn't sound rude) Theres a case like 30-15 minuets from my town. Which is really far from Washington (I do believe thats where the event was held). I live in Texas and the horse that has it hasn't been out of state in a year. I'm pretty worried. They've also cancelled all our shows for the next month. :\[/quote]

It was held in Utah, but spread to WA, CA, ID, and BC, Canada.[/quote]

I don't know why I was thinking Washington. xD Ohg well.

Sierra and Prancer

Banner by BulletKelly

Post #1643836
Posted 5/18/2011 8:30:27 PM

~Horsefeathers15~ (5/18/2011)
MadDashForRioBaby (5/18/2011)
~Horsefeathers15~ (5/17/2011)

There is a part I just learned about, the only way a horse can get it is if the horse was at the show or at the Golden Spike arena in the past three weeks. But if you are worried keep the horse isolated :) Let me know!

Well what you just learned was wrong. (Hope that didn't sound rude) Theres a case like 30-15 minuets from my town. Which is really far from Washington (I do believe thats where the event was held). I live in Texas and the horse that has it hasn't been out of state in a year. I'm pretty worried. They've also cancelled all our shows for the next month. :\

The event was in Ogden Utah. At the Western cutting show or something like that.

Post #1643941
Posted 5/18/2011 8:56:20 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/4/2013 8:18:52 PM
Well crap.

Thanks for posting this <3 I'll let people know around my barns and stuff.

RIP Alex, Apache, Cane, Fuzzy, Juniper, Mr. P, and Tazz. I love you all so much
DeviantART
Post #1643953
Posted 5/18/2011 8:56:27 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 7/2/2011 3:48:59 PM
I live 1 and a half from Ogden Utah. I go to the Golden Spike Event for eventing every year and it might be canceled because of this outbreak. Just to let you know utah doesn't cause diseases that kill horses. The out break came from a horse in like nevada or canada one of the two. So dont blame the 'beautiful!' state of utah. This is my home. Don't be trash talkin about it. But seriously look up park city utah, moab utah, and st.george utah some of the prettiest places in the world.

RIDER4LIFE
Post #1643954
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:04pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation