Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Check Out My Equine Art » Hints, Tips, and Tutorials

12345»»»

Hints, Tips, and Tutorials Expand / Collapse
Author

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/4/2013 8:18:52 PM
K so a lot of people requested that I post this... So here it is! Please feel free to request that I add more stuff if you would like it up here in the FAQ section :)

Please use this topic to ask your questions rather than post a new topic about it; there's plenty of people, including myself, who would be more than happy to help you out.

RIP Alex, Apache, Cane, Fuzzy, Juniper, Mr. P, and Tazz. I love you all so much
DeviantART
Post #1570507
Posted 1/28/2011 5:25:39 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

What is a banner? How do I make one?
A banner is an image that goes in your signature. It’s longer than it is tall, which is why it’s been dubbed a “banner”. You can make them on photoshop, GIMP, or any kind of photo editing site. Banners are generally 200 pixels tall by 600 pixels wide or smaller.

Help, I don’t have photoshop! What are some free sites I can use to make banners?
My first recommendation is GIMP. It’s a free editing program that is very similar to photoshop.
You can download it here:

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

You can also use other photo editing websites such as
http://lunapic.com/editor/

http://www.picnik.com/

And many more.

REMINDER: Anytime you download anything, please make sure you’re downloading it from a reputable source. The best place to download a program is from the official website, not some sketchy site.

DeviantART
Post #1570510
Posted 1/28/2011 5:27:27 PM

Advanced Member

Help! I don’t know how to use GIMP/Photoshop!
While I’m a firm believer in self teaching and trial and error, sometimes that can get a bit frustrating. Ask some of your fellow YRians, do google searches for tutorials on how to do certain things, and search through the forums for topics where your questions might have already been answered.

Where do I find good tutorials?
Google is always a great place to find tutorials, but http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/tutorials/ is my favorite. You can’t always find what you’re looking for, but there’s plenty of excellent material on there.
Please keep in mind that you may NOT treat deviantart tutorials like google images. Read the artists comments below the image before you redistribute it, if that’s allowed by the artist.

Where do I find free fonts to download?

http://www.dafont.com/

DeviantART
Post #1570514
Posted 1/28/2011 5:27:45 PM

Advanced Member

How do I download and install fonts?
From another website:

We recommend installing only one format — OpenType, TrueType, or PostScript — of a font. Installing two or more formats of the same font may cause problems when you try to use, view, or print the font.

Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel

Note: In Windows XP, choose Start > Control Panel

Double-click the Fonts folder.
Choose File > Install New Font.
Locate the fonts you want to install.
In the Drives list, select the drive and the folder containing the fonts you want to install.
In the Folders list, select a folder that contains the fonts you want to install. (Make sure you have unzipped them first.) The fonts in the folder appear under List of Fonts.
Select the fonts to install. To select more than one font, hold down the CTRL key and click each font.
To copy the fonts to the Fonts folder, make sure the Copy fonts to the Fonts folder check box is selected.
Note: If installing fonts from a floppy disk or a CD-ROM, you should make sure this check box is selected. Otherwise, to use the fonts in your applications, you must always keep the disk in the disk drive.

Click OK to install the fonts.

DeviantART
Post #1570515
Posted 1/28/2011 5:28:11 PM

Advanced Member

How  do I install brushes? (for photoshop)
From another site:

If the brush or brush set you have downloaded is a .zip file you will have to extract it to your desktop. Right click on the file and click on "extract to <insertfilenamehere>" and it will extract the contents into a folder onto your desktop.

One you have the extracted files (they should be "abr" files), go to Edit > Preset Manager in photoshop. A window will pop up. Choose the type of item you would like to install in the Preset Type menu and click the Load button. Locate the file for the item you wish to install. It will immediately appear in the palette in the pop-up window. Click Done when you are finished and your new items will be ready for use from their respective palettes.

How do I install my brushes for GIMP?
From another site:

Do the following:

My computer<
Local Disk (C:)<
Program Files<
Gimp<
Share<
Gimp<
2.0<
brushes<

Then open the folder that has the brushes in it, copy all the files and paste them into the brush folder.

Where to find GIMP brushes:
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/ ... lltime=yes

DeviantART
Post #1570516
Posted 1/28/2011 5:28:44 PM

Advanced Member

What are textures, how do I use them, and where do I find them?

Textures are basically just pictures that are, for lack of a better word, textured. They provide a nice touch to banners and other photoshoppery. When you use them, just play around with layer/image/light settings! Be creative and have fun with them.

There are several places to get free textures, like:

http://hybrid-genesis.com/freebies/free_textures/index.html

and

http://www.cgtextures.com/

If you guys have anything else you’d like me to put up here, just let me know via a PM, or a request on here J

DeviantART
Post #1570517
Posted 1/28/2011 6:03:57 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/17/2011 10:51:05 AM
YO CESSIE. Even though I know already, can you explain to the kidlets how to blend and cut, because we always get a lot of topics on that on the boards.

♥♥♥
Sarah Rachel

The amazing banner made by Erin (extraordinary)
What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?
Louie & Jelly & Sterling
♥♥♥

Post #1570547
Posted 1/28/2011 6:41:41 PM

Advanced Member

Yeah, I just need to dig up my tuts haha.

DeviantART
Post #1570592
Posted 1/28/2011 9:25:26 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 6/3/2012 11:37:12 PM
I wonder if we can get this topic pinned?

S <3 r r a
~My darling won't you feel the sweet heaven in our endless cry... endless cry.~ 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There are no bad ideas. Just poorly executed awesome ones."
-Damon Salvatore
Post #1570829
Posted 1/29/2011 5:14:48 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/16/2012 6:03:26 PM
I just totally love you.

.:Kelly&Bullet:.

Banner by Lisa

Post #1570935
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:38am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation