Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » What do you think of western riding?

12345»»»

What do you think of western riding? Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/8/2013 8:24:13 PM
as a western rider I have riden english once. What do you think about wetsern riding? I no that both styles are incredibly different.

....::::Lyndi and Blue::::....

Post #1452818
Posted 8/12/2010 9:31:59 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/17/2011 10:51:05 AM
I'm a lot less on the fence about it now, then I used to be. The thing is I don't like some of the techniques they use. No horse should have to be partially retired at 8. 8 is like the prime of an english horse's life. But I think all of Stacy Westfall's stuff looks really cool.

♥♥♥
Sarah Rachel

The amazing banner made by Erin (extraordinary)
What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?
Louie & Jelly & Sterling
♥♥♥

Post #1452994
Posted 8/12/2010 9:48:47 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 3/17/2012 9:11:28 PM
I have hacked around western but don't know much about. From what I have seen though, I would not choose to compete in it. as the ohers othes have said the cow roping is justnplain cruel, no animal should be teated that way.I also don't like some of the bits and spurs western riders use. some of the bits are extremely harsh and many riders seem to really crank on there horse mouths. As well the whole sliding stops and stuff are terrible for the horses joints, and causes them to go lame early. that being said, English riders can be accused of the same things (excluding the calf part) and I find it really depends on who the rider and trainer are, I have nothing against western as long as the horses and animals are being treated right!

^^Banner made by Vivid Dreams -not me riding

.:Hannah:.
Post #1453029
Posted 8/12/2010 10:38:49 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2011 2:31:39 AM
I love riding western on our horses and other horses at the barn. They are very polite, responsive, and excited to do what you ask them. It is a very comfortable discipline and I enjoy it.

I hate watching most Quarter Horses, Paints, and other stock breeds. The ones that are dead slow, heads hanging, ears flopping... I can't stand it. It looks like the horse has no life, no character, and doesn't care about much of anything. Although a lot of the tying up the head at night has disappeared, I remember at 4-H shows in the past walking through the barn at night and seeing this, and thinking about how disgusting and cruel it was. I dislike the spurs on a rider who is cruel with them, or doesn't know how to use them. I have seen many a horse come out of the ring with holes in their sides. I'm also not a fan of the riders that jerk jerk jerk on the horse with those big curbs, which I see a lot. It's like they either a) have absolutely no idea what they are doing to that poor horse's mouth, or b) they don't care.

I know English has its bad points, and English riders can be accused of some of the same things. But those are my opinions.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Post #1453090
Posted 8/12/2010 10:49:22 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 10/29/2010 8:17:51 PM
I have not been in a western saddle once in the two years I have been riding.  I would really like to give it a try though and ride western once!  It looks cool, a bit daring, and fun!  I would miss jumping though if I rode western.  So I see advantages and disadvantages to both sytles.

Thank you PartyManners for the awesome banner!!!

~ROCK!!!~ By E
~I don't like to fit in, I like to stand out~

Post #1453099
Posted 8/12/2010 10:54:45 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/12/2012 5:37:20 PM
I've been riding English, mostly Pleasure and H/J for almost ten years now. However, I really really really want to try reining xD Or just like hope on an amazing reining horse and pray to God he listens to me so I can experience a sliding stop haha. It just looks soooo cool.

Tori, Frankie, and sometimes Jack.

banner by Bree

Post #1453102
Posted 8/12/2010 11:47:51 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 8/9/2011 10:28:33 AM
I've ridden english for 10 years, and last week I started taking western lessons. I'm doing western pleasure now and I absolutely love it.

Caitie

the truth never set me free, so I did it myself

Post #1453169
Posted 8/12/2010 6:53:45 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

I see where ya'll are coming from the calf roping. i am against steer busting witch is absolutley awful. I use spurs but I don't miss use them i either press lightly or just tap once and my horse is off at a lope. I hate it when I see people just kicking the sides of the horses. I see this alot in both styles.

Post #1453830
Posted 8/12/2010 7:07:00 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2/3/2013 8:24:21 AM
I ride English... and have for 7 1/2 years, but my horse is trained both English and western. Every now and then I take my western saddle and go on a trail ride and it is so much fun and relaxed! But I think rodeos are cruel for many reasons (they are SOOOOO cruel to the animals).... I also did reigning for about a year (which was also a great experiance). I never once had to pull on the horses's mouth because she was so well trained, and the people who owned the barn didn't like anyone being harsh with a horse. But I've seen many other people in western events that jerk their horses's around... and it bothers me when western people just kick their horses as hard as they can to make them move. I honestly perfer English because I LOVE jumping and I find I can do more with it. Both Western and English are great, and anyone could be harsh with a horse... its the person who rides the horse, not just because it's English or western.
Post #1453853
Posted 8/12/2010 9:44:33 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 2/13/2017 2:15:03 PM
I'v always wanted to ride Western! I've only been in a Western saddle once on a trail ride but I really liked it. But my mom is against me riding western (long story but the fact that I want to ride western, want my first car to be a ford or ram pick up, always listen to country music, and want to live on a ranch scares her) and I don't have anyone to teach me so I'll probably never get a chance to try it any time soon.

Take me to church

I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies

I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife

Post #1454032
Posted 8/12/2010 10:28:26 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/9/2012 12:44:41 PM
What's with everyone being against calf roping? It's not inhumane, at all. It's the same as you sitting on your butt and being slid across the ground lmao. Yeah they tie them, but that's so they don't hurt themselves trying to get up after they've been lassoed. Anyone on here ever flipped a sheep? Probably not. And now you're probably thinking it's some horrible vile thing lmao but it's really not. Anyways, it's pretty much the same thing except for calves when they flip them on the ground. It doesn't hurt the calf. Now if they were doing that to foals, I would have a problem. But calves are a whole lot sturdier and tougher and they aren't hurt by it. Really.

As for the question, I'm with butterfly/District 5 on the fact that I really dislike watching WP horses/the ones that look half lame while going around the arena at such a slow pace you want to get behind them and give them a push to help them go faster. xD That pretty much pains me. I'm also not crazy about barrel racing, although I will admit that doing it has crossed my mind a time or two. xD I would actually like to do some western at some point. I enjoy it, not quite as much as I do english, but it's fun to experiment and try new things. And damn that sounded cheesy xDD I'd like to do some cutting maybe, or reining. I really, really, used to want to do reining until I fell in love with english.

- - -
Hannah

Coquette - "Mercedes"
Cloud 9 - "Cloud"
Caught In The Act - "Dallas"
Post #1454047
Posted 8/13/2010 5:41:09 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2011 2:31:39 AM
{defenestrated} (8/12/2010)
What's with everyone being against calf roping? It's not inhumane, at all. It's the same as you sitting on your butt and being slid across the ground lmao. Yeah they tie them, but that's so they don't hurt themselves trying to get up after they've been lassoed. Anyone on here ever flipped a sheep? Probably not. And now you're probably thinking it's some horrible vile thing lmao but it's really not. Anyways, it's pretty much the same thing except for calves when they flip them on the ground. It doesn't hurt the calf. Now if they were doing that to foals, I would have a problem. But calves are a whole lot sturdier and tougher and they aren't hurt by it. Really.

That's what I was thinking. Those animals are built to handle it, they had to be, or they never would have survived the old days where they had to be caught that way. I really don't see a problem with it, either.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Post #1454084
Posted 8/13/2010 8:52:51 AM

Advanced Member

I don't find a problem with that, the thing I have a problem with is the fact that some horses the have done like reining and stuff that are bad on their joints are retired by age 8... But it does seem like fun. I mean I know jumping isn't exactly great for a horse's joints either, but most of them aren't retired at age 8. But, I don't want to start and argue, so I'm just going to back off.

♥♥♥
Sarah Rachel

Louie & Jelly & Sterling
♥♥♥

Post #1454176
Posted 8/13/2010 12:13:30 PM

To be truthfull with you guys the horse that I'm riding on my signature is a calf roping horse and he is 26 and I have never scene a horse that has been retired at 8 almost all my horses are older than that. I don't think rodeos are inhumane either except for what I was talking about earlier the steer busting. i am 15 and last month was the first time I had ever heard of it. 

Post #1454321
Posted 8/13/2010 1:21:36 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 2/13/2017 2:15:03 PM
[quote]What's with everyone being against calf roping? It's not inhumane, at all. It's the same as you sitting on your butt and being slid across the ground lmao. Yeah they tie them, but that's so they don't hurt themselves trying to get up after they've been lassoed. Anyone on here ever flipped a sheep? Probably not. And now you're probably thinking it's some horrible vile thing lmao but it's really not. Anyways, it's pretty much the same thing except for calves when they flip them on the ground. It doesn't hurt the calf. Now if they were doing that to foals, I would have a problem. But calves are a whole lot sturdier and tougher and they aren't hurt by it. Really.

[/quote]

I agree 100% cows are very sturdy animals and calf roping doesn't hurt them at all.

Take me to church

I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies

I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife

Post #1454400
Posted 8/13/2010 1:24:05 PM

Advanced Member

A lot of professional reining horses are at least semi-retired by 9, but like I said, I'm not going to start a fight so I'm gonna back off.

♥♥♥
Sarah Rachel

Louie & Jelly & Sterling
♥♥♥

Post #1454404
Posted 8/13/2010 3:00:38 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 3/8/2012 12:56:46 PM

Snaffs

Post #1454463
Posted 8/13/2010 3:11:14 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/1/2013 8:19:35 PM
When I first started riding and I was like 4, I rode western a few times then immediately switched to English. Then in second grade I took barrel racing lessons along with English lessons. Now I never ride western. I find it too boring and I'm not a fan of their speed events. I like to go to the rodeo here but thats it. The only western event I have a good amount of respect for is reining. I live in Texas so we have a lot of western, but I just kind of ignore it. I'm just not a fan.

thanks jordyn for the banner

To be with us, you have to be good. To stay with us, you have to be strong. To beat us, you have to be kidding.

Post #1454475
Posted 8/13/2010 5:50:15 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/9/2012 12:44:41 PM
aponyforsarah (8/13/2010)
A lot of professional reining horses are at least semi-retired by 9, but like I said, I'm not going to start a fight so I'm gonna back off.

-deepbreath-
oh nevermind, it's not worth it.

- - -
Hannah

Coquette - "Mercedes"
Cloud 9 - "Cloud"
Caught In The Act - "Dallas"
Post #1454620
Posted 8/13/2010 7:03:20 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/15/2010 10:47:57 AM
It seems as if it's not as up tight and fancy as english.

-Alex-

92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe. Put this in your sig if you are the 8% who would be laughing

Post #1454750
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:31am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation