Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Talk » Ideas for crafts & games at horse camp

Ideas for crafts & games at horse camp Expand / Collapse
Author

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/19/2010 4:47:35 PM
I need everyone's help! We do about 4-5 sessions of horse camp each year in the summer. We've been doing the same crafts and games for like two years, so does anyone have ANY suggestions on anything fun to do with these kids?

thanks!

----------------------------

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Post #1399508
Posted 6/10/2010 7:20:55 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/18/2011 12:59:58 PM
Are they like beginners? Or do they have sme experience. Or do you guys have both?

Photobucket

I love you so much Mia. Thank you.

"You may have to work harder than everyone else, but don't give up, I'm always here for you, and everything will turn out alright."

Yes, I know my quotes don't work. Please ignore them. Thanks.

Post #1399510
Posted 6/10/2010 7:35:30 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 5/1/2011 10:33:57 PM
FINGER PAINTING! (I am doing that for my sweet sixteen xD)
Get a professionaly artist or soemone decent to come teach a drawing lesson, draw a horse to take home
If your barn has the money, decorate browbands with gems, etc
Paint Ceramics
Paint a breyer pony
Make necklaces/bracelets/jewelry
Thank you card for parent/gaurdian
Stamp art

and...yeah

Halfway there, Living on a prayer.

Post #1399522
Posted 6/10/2010 7:44:40 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/23/2010 5:40:33 PM
If they're younger you could paint and decorate a wooden horseshoe. That's fun x]

~Phoebe~

I love you Arwen, you're my crazy mare!

I'm a Jesus Freak

Was pony_gal

Post #1399530
Posted 6/10/2010 8:06:07 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 9/14/2010 7:58:10 PM
If they were good enough riders they could do an obstical course on their horses!  I did it before, it is fun. Like weaving in and out of poles, over a board, set up like a bridge etc. Angela

Proud to be a Catholic

Cody, my sweet baby boy, I will always love you!

Thanks RicochetRRR for the awesome banner!

Post #1399542
Posted 6/10/2010 8:14:39 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 2/2/2013 8:53:10 PM
Get loads of ribbons and elastics and feathers and horse glitter, and decorate your ponies

Julia. Misty.

The Earth revolves around the Sun. But it wasn't always that way. The Sun used to revolve around the Earth. It was like that for hundreds of years, until it was discovered to be otherwise, and even for a few hundred years after that. But, ultimately, after much kicking and screaming, the Earth did, in fact, begin to revolve around the Sun.

Post #1399546
Posted 6/10/2010 8:15:40 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/11/2012 3:26:21 PM
Are you looking for mounted games or games without the horses?

For crafts:
Ask your farrier if he has any old horse shoes he can give you, and have the kids paint horse shoes. They can put their horse's name on it, or the horse they ride during camp or something.
Make stall signs for their horses/the camp horses. Just get a simple plain piece of wood and they can paint them.
Have them paint a plain wooden picture frame, and then take pictures of them all on their horses and they can put the pictures in their picture frame.
Tie-dye t-shirts.
Make bracelets or necklaces with beads and stuff, you can get letter beads and they can put their horses name on it.
Not really a craft, but if your barn has any jumps that have plain white poles, or any poles or standards that need repainting or anything, you can have the kids help paint them.
Making horse treats.
Get washable finger paint and paint the horses! It's so fun. xD You can turn into an educational thing too, like you can ask them where a certain part of the horse is, and they can paint it or something.

For unmounted games:
Scavenger hunt around the barn.
Get all the kids in the arena, and you can play Red Light, Green Light, or Battleship or something by having them run across the ring.
Bobbing for apples. Do it with the horses too! xD. It's really funny to see how the horses will try and get them.
Three-legged race. Get the kinds in an area or something, and put them in pairs and tie one of each of their legs together with a polo or something, and have them run. It's really entertaining if you add small jumps into it, lmao.
HORSELESS HORSE SHOW. Omg those are the best. xD You have the kids go around the arena on foot, or even with a stick horse! Lmao. You have them walk, trot, canter, back, halt, gallop, lead changes, etc. You can have jumping classes too, or make them do a dressage test or equitation/reining pattern or something, lol.

------------------------------------------------------
We Are More

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it's the voice at the end of the day that says 'I will try again tomorrow.'"

i love juliette so muchi cant even begin to explain it.
juliette loves me a lot too.
and my pony is named bustarhymes and he's really adorable

Post #1399547
Posted 6/10/2010 8:18:26 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 5/9/2011 5:02:06 PM
If you have a big arena capture the flag on horseback :) it is fun!

-Emily-

-Good bye Piper. Good bye Sonni. Who will be the next?-

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

Post #1399551
Posted 6/10/2010 8:20:29 AM

Last Login: 5/1/2011 10:33:57 PM
Jumping=LOVE133 (6/10/2010)
If you have a big arena capture the flag on horseback :) it is fun!

OH MY GOSH THAT SOUNDS SO FUNNN!!!

Halfway there, Living on a prayer.

Post #1399553
Posted 6/10/2010 10:14:51 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 3/24/2012 6:45:46 AM
You all might already do this, but when I was little we did this at a camp and it was a lot of fun.

Take 3 or 4 horses or ponies and split the kids into teams, each team assinged a pony or horse. There is a bucket of costumes at the end of a little challenge course thing, like stepping over a long, weaving between cones type thing. ONce you get to the end you put something on the horse and then bring it back, each team member does that and at the end the best dressed horse wins and the team gets candy or something.

*Sadie*

SRH <3

Post #1399584
Posted 6/10/2010 10:59:51 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/4/2013 8:18:52 PM
Get some little wooden letters from the craft store, and some old horse shoes. The campers can use the letters to write their names, paint them how they want, and glue them to the horse shoe as a decoration for their room.
Decorate picture frames
Drawing/painting
You could make horse treats... The easy kind though, with oats, mollasses, etc.
I'll think of more later :P

ETA:
Here are some games I would doat camp:
Scavenger hunts! Those are fun, and can be done on or off a horse. If you're doing it while on a horse, you need to have a councilor with the camper to pick up the hidden thing though.
Horseless horse shows are epic.
Polka dot pony! This isn't exactly a game, but it's still fun. You take stickers or name lables with parts of the horse written on it, and the campers have to find the corresponding part on a real horse. So the horse ends up looking spotted from the name lables, hence the name :P
CAPTURE THE FLAG IS SO FUN. You can also use a leadrope instead of a flag, but you have to be reallllyyy careful to make sure that it isn't hanging where the horse can step/trip on it.

RIP Alex, Apache, Cane, Fuzzy, Juniper, Mr. P, and Tazz. I love you all so much
DeviantART
Post #1399624
Posted 6/10/2010 11:18:26 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/20/2013 10:29:57 PM
- Get some old horseshoes, let the kids spray paint them silver, decorate them with little plastic gemstones and stuff, and then take there picture next to their favorite horse and have them cut it out and glue it onto a piece of cardboard and then glue the picture/cardboard onto the back of the horseshoe. We still do this for the kids at my barns camp, and I remember doing it when I was like 7. I'll dig one up somewhere and get a picture if you'd like.

-So I have no clue where they're from, but my barn's camp has these cheap plastic cups, where there is like a paper insert that goes inside the plastic and has pictures of horses on them and we let the kids color them and keep them. If you're interested, I could find a link for you. Let me know.

Lisa - Katie - Erin - Olivia
BJ - Secret - Jimmy - Riley

Post #1399633
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:49pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation